shm-logo

MENU

Historic Building

The Transportation Building

The transportation building was constructed in 1937 and served as an automotive repair shop. It holds the Museum’s “rolling stock” and vehicle collection, which includes a stagecoach used in Tombstone, Arizona (and “held up” at least one time), a scaled replica of a Conestoga wagon, a Ford Model-T ranch pickup truck and Sharlot Hall’s personal Durant Star Touring car. She purchased this “convertible” in 1926 for $737. The Conestoga replica, known as the “Bicentennial Wagon,” was driven from Yuma, Arizona, to Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, during the 1976 national bicentennial celebration.

When Sharlot Hall moved into the Governor’s Mansion in 1926, this poured concrete structure had not been built. Through the years the building changed hands and uses until the Museum bought it for storage. As time passed the staff renovated the building and converted it for exhibits. 

The Transportation Building

Fun Facts

Quick Dates

A variety of small residences rotate through 108 McCormick Street, site of the future Transportation Building. The last one is torn down in 1936.
The present building is constructed to house the Jacob Mechanical Service. It is formed of poured concrete.
The building is sold and re-sold, occupied by a number of different (chiefly mechanical) businesses.
The Prescott Historical Society acquires the entire property between Capitol and McCormick Streets from the Arizona State Parks Board for $10.
In March 1974, renovation of the newly acquired Transportation Building began. Due to budget constraints, it housed vehicles.
Following a three-year preservation effort, the renovated Transportation Building reopened to the public. Its displays present authentic examples of early modes of transportation in Prescott.
Skip to content