In the summer of 1864, workers under the direction of three contractors (Samuel E. Blair, Daniel Hatz, and John Raible) built this log house as the governor’s home and office. It is the oldest building associated with Arizona Territory still standing on its original location.
Called a “mansion” because it was very upscale and permanent compared to the shanties and tents of the time, it enjoyed a place of prominence in the young community. In the 1920s, thanks to Sharlot Hall, the building was repurposed to hold her collections of historic artifacts and the “Gubernatorial Mansion Museum” opened its doors to the public in 1928. Upon her death in 1943, the Museum was renamed in her honor.
Today it is furnished based on a letter written by Margaret McCormick and dated April 1, 1866, written to her friend Emma Denike of Rahway, New Jersey, where she describes “her home.” The Mansion also houses exhibits describing its construction and featuring artifacts found during restoration work in 1981.